If you have ever had to solve a problem on your own, you may be aware of how difficult it can be. There are different ways to approach every problem, but you may also have noticed that it seems to come naturally for some people. When you see this happening, these people may be utilizing insight, which is a specific type of problem solving. Keep reading for a quick look at what insight is and whether it can be controlled.
What is insight?
Insight is a type of learning that happens suddenly and without warning. In many cases, when you are trying to solve a problem, you may have to try out different solutions to see what works. This is called trial and error. When it comes to insight, this isn’t necessary. Think about the last time you were trying to remember something, and the answer just popped into your mind. This is an example of insight.
If you notice that you have the answers to problems right away more often than not, you are someone that has a lot of insight. Some people have insight and other people do not. It is possible for pretty much anyone to experience insight occasionally, but there is no indicator as to when it will happen for someone.
Can insight be controlled?
The short answer is no. Not everyone will be able to utilize insight thinking, and it may be easier for some people to take advantage of than others. At the same time, there are some things that you can do which may give you a better chance of being able to use insight.
- Getting Sleep. If you want to practice insight thinking, you need to be able to get the proper sleep at night. When your brain is able to think clearly, you never know when you may gain insight.
- Eating Right. You should also consider eating proper meals. When you are ingesting healthy foods and the correct number of calories, you will not only have the energy to get through each day, but you will also be eating the vitamins and minerals you need. This might be able to help you make the best decisions possible.
- Exercising Regularly. Exercising can also be a helpful idea when you are trying to learn more about insight learning. Exercising can allow you to sweat out toxins and keep your body systems working as they should be. In other words, working out can be something that benefits your whole body, including your brain.
- Staying Healthy. Think about the last time you went to the doctor. Is it time for a checkup? If it is, meet with your physician, so they will be able to treat any illnesses that you may be experiencing. Once you get a clean bill of health, think about if you want to meet with a therapist. Working with a therapist can also provide you with additional tools you may seek when it comes to insight thinking. You can learn more about insight psychology through MyTherapist, who has therapists that are able to work with individuals on this type of treatment. They may also be able to offer additional guidance that can help you better control your insight.
- Being Consistent. When you are consistently learning and working towards meeting goals, you may have a better chance of being able to benefit from insight learning. In other words, the more you learn, the more information you will have at your disposal. This might help your brain make connections more effectively, which could cause you to experience insight from time to time.
- Taking Necessary Breaks. It is thought that you need to rest your mind when necessary to be able to gain insight. This means when you are fed up and can’t think, you should do something else that is completely different. If you are trying to work out a complicated solution for work but it is giving you a headache, make a quick change for a few minutes. Go to the window and look outside. This may be just the thing you need to change your perspective and allow your mind to take a break.
No one knows for sure what causes insight to occur, but it is something that can happen in any adult. Having skills and knowing information can go a long way into experiencing insight, but again, there’s no way to know for sure if and when you will see it happen for you.
Keep these things in mind as you learn more about insight and what it consists of. Also, be sure to talk to your mental health counselor to learn more about what is known about insight from a psychological standpoint. They should be able to provide more details and techniques to try for yourself.
Photo credit: iStock
The post Is Insight Something That Can Be Controlled? appeared first on The Good Men Project.